Incorporated in 2008, Suryoday Micro Finance Pvt Ltd (Suryoday) commenced full-fledged operations from May 2009. The company, engaged in providing group loans using the Grameen Bank model, has a presence in around 70 branches spread across nearly 30 districts in the states of Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Odisha, Rajasthan, and Karnataka and had a loan portfolio aggregating Rs.282 crore as on January 31, 2014.
Performance on key parameters
- Suryoday’s portfolio outstanding and borrower base have grown at CAGRs of 114 and 85 percent respectively during the 3 years ended March 31, 2013. Though the operations are concentrated in Maharashtra, the company has a presence in six states and is focused on improving its geographic diversity
- 30+ dpd has remained low during the past 18 months after rising sharply after the Andhra Pradesh crisis. The company has a presence in some districts of Andhra Pradesh
- Has a relationship with more than 15 lenders as on September 30, 2013; also raises funds through securitization on a regular basis
- Adequately capitalized for the current scale of operations, with a net worth of Rs.79 crore, and gearing of 2.5 times as on September 30, 2013. Has demonstrated the ability to raise capital on a regular basis to support its growth plans
- Profitability through modest has been improving due to a reduction in operating expense ratio. The return on managed assets improved to 1.1 percent during 2012-13 from 0.5 percent during 2011-12. However, the ability to maintain improvement in its profitability over the medium term will be critical
Portfolio growth and trends in profitability