SBI stands for State Bank of India and is India’s largest and most reliable public sector bank. It is one of the leading players in the Banking sector of India. The bank started on July 1, 1955, and since then it has maintained its reputation and consistency in providing excellent services.
SBI has more than 24000 branches in the country and around 60000 ATM. You would be amazed to know that over 420 million customers trust the bank because of its fantastic services and support.
They provide a massive range of services and products to its customers, and the best part of this bank is that they have always been open to changes, such as switching from manual to digital, ATM services, online banking, and much more.
Hence, here in this article, we would learn how to add a nominee in SBI Account Online?
What are nominees in Banks?
A nominee is a person who is appointed by the account holder to receive funds in case the account holder dies. In this case, all the money in the bank account would be given to the nominee.
Although, not only SBI but whenever you open an account in any bank, they would ask for address proof, identity proof, and a nominee for your account. All these documents are requested for whether you open savings, current account, PPF, recurring deposits, etc.
Filling the name of a nominee is not mandatory, but if you choose to leave that field empty, then the rightful heir(s) would be requested to get a court order or a succession certificate to get the money in case of the death of the account holder. To avoid this procedure, it is always recommended to add the nominee’s name so that the funds can be transferred easily without any trouble to the nominee’s account.
Suppose you have missed adding a nominee while opening your SBI account and wish to add now. Then don’t worry, there are various ways of doing it and that too in just a few steps.
How to add a Nominee in SBI Account Online?
You can add a nominee in an SBI account using SBI net banking or Using SBI mobile banking as well. If you want, you can also visit the branch and get it done. There are all the options for you. Let us have a look at can you can add a nominee in State Bank of India Online yourself:
Add Nominee via Internet Banking
The first thing you need to do is activate SBI net banking service for your bank account. If you already have an active account then, here are a few steps that you need to follow:
1. Open the SBI website https://www.onlinesbi.com.
2. Log in to the internet bank account by using your username and password.
3. Once the account opens, go to the menu and click on the “Request & Enquiries tab.”
4. You would see a list of various services mentioned, click on “Online Nomination” featured in the middle of the page.
5. In case if you have more than one account, then it would show you all the accounts. You can select the account for which you wish to add the nominee and then click on ‘Continue.’
6. In case the nominee is already added then it would give a disclaimer that “Nomination is already registered for this account”.
7. If not, you would need to enter the nominee’s name, date of birth, address, and nominee relationship with the depositor. There would be a few more fields that you would have to fill. After filling in all the credentials, click on the submit button to register the new nominee for your account.
8. It would ask for a password, make sure that you enter a high-security password and click on the ‘Confirm‘ button. The password you set would be sent to your registered mobile number.
9. Your nominee has been successfully set up through net banking in just a few steps.
Adding nominee via Mobile Banking
Without visiting your SBI branch, you can easily register for a new nominee. This feature is available for savings, current and fixed deposit accounts. If you have a joint account, you would have to visit the branch for that.
For adding nominee via mobile banking in SBI account, you have to-
- Download the SBI- Mobile Banking App
- Login by putting a username and password
- Once you log in, click on the “Services” option
- A screen would come up with various options, choose the “Online Nomination” option.
- Now, you would have to select the type of account and put your account number.
- Once you put these details, click on “Register nomination.”
- Enter the name, date of birth, address, and relationship with the depositor. Click on submit, and it’s done.
By following this procedure, you can add a nominee to the SBI account online without visiting the bank branch. But, what if you want to cancel the Nomination, then how will you do that?
Cancel Nomination in Online SBI
You are well-versed with how to add a nominee in SBI Account online, but it is also essential for you to know how to cancel the Nomination. If you want to change the Nomination then also first you would have to cancel the Nomination.
Here are the steps for you:
1. Go to the SBI website.
2. Login to the internet bank account by using your username and password.
3. Once you open the account, go to the “Request & Enquiries” tab and click on the “More” option.
4. A new screen would come up with various options, click on the “Online Nomination” tab.
5. A message would pop up, “Nomination shall be made only in favour of Individual. A nominee cannot be an Association, Trust, Society, or any other Organization or any office-bearer thereof in his official capacity. Nomination other than in favour of an Individual will not be valid.”
6. You would have to agree with it by clicking on the ‘Ok‘ button.
7. Select the Cancel Nomination option on the page.
8. All the SBI accounts would be listed, select the account for which you want to cancel the Nomination, and click on the continue button.
9. A new page would come up in which you would have to agree with the terms and conditions of the cancellation if you agree then click on Submit.
10. The Nomination has been cancelled and if you want you can add a nomination online as mentioned above.
View or Enquire Nomination
Once you add or delete the Nomination, it can also be done quickly through online banking if you wish to check whether it has been done or not. For doing this, you would have to log in to your online banking by putting your username and password. Once the account opens after that, go to the “Request & Enquiries” tab and click on the option More.
You will see a lot of options; select “Online Nomination.” The page will open up, select the option “Inquire Nomination.” This page will show different accounts registered under your name, select the account you wish to inquire about, and click on the continue button.
You would see terms and conditions on the next page, put a tick on the checkbox, and click on the submit button. Once you agree to the terms and conditions, you would be able to see the registered Nomination on the next page.
How to Register, Change or Cancel Nominee in SBI via Branch
By visiting the branch, you can add, cancel, enquire or change your nominee. As per your requirement, you can either download the form online or get the form from the branch itself. If you download the forms, then take a printout of it and fill the form correctly.
After filling the form, please submit it to the SBI branch and the staff would update all the details as mentioned.
How to Manage Nominee in SBI PPF account
PPF account holders can nominate one or more people. But, if the account holders nominate more than one person, then he/she also have to mention the amount of share of the nominees. They can make the changes or add the nominee both online or by visiting the SBI branch.
Let us see how it can be done online:
Add, change or cancel nominee in SBI PPF Online through an app
- If you do not have the app installed on your phone, then the first thing you would have to do is download the app. Create a username and password. Once you log in to the account, then go to the menu and select Service Request.
- On the Service Request Page, go to Account Services and select Nominee Management. If you are an SBI PPF account holder then on the next screen, you will see the option of registering, cancelling, or enquiring.
- If you wish to register a new nominee, select the account and enter the new nominee’s details and click on the Submit button.
- If you want to change the nominee, you would have to first cancel the already registered nominee and then do the registration again by putting in new details of the nominee.
- If you want to cancel the Nomination, then choose the PPF account, click on cancel nominee and then select the submit button.
- After doing this, a page will occur, showing terms and conditions, tick mark on the checkbox if you agree to the terms and conditions, and click on the submit button.
- You will receive a one-time-password on your registered mobile number enter that on the page and click on the submit button. The request for cancellation would be accepted, and you will be able to update the new nominee.
Add or Cancellation the Nomination in the SBI PPF account through the branch
If you want to register, change or cancel the nominee through the bank, you would have to visit the SBI branch. You just need to ask the bank staff for the form as per your requirement, fill it appropriately and submit it. The form is free of cost, and they update the details in your account instantly.
If you want you can download the form, take a print out, fill the form at your place and submit it to the bank.
Recommended: All Bank Balance Enquiry Number List (Toll-Free)
These are the few steps on how to add a nominee in SBI account online and by visiting the branch. In fact, the good thing is that you can also change or cancel the nominee online. You do not have to visit the branch and stand in line to get these small changes done. SBI has made things easier for you by launching the app where you can do everything related to Nomination sitting at home.